Monday, February 11, 2013

SASO 2013 Tutorials

One of my favorite conferences to go to is SASO, the IEEE International Conference on Self-Adaptive and Self-Organizing Systems.  I've been going to it since its beginning, seven years ago, and the community there has a lot of folks who think like me, and whose research I'm very interested in.  Lots of cross-disciplinary work, lots of people taking unorthodox routes to trying to tackle intractable problems, lots of, well, engineered self-organization.

So SASO is the sort of place that I'm also happy to put in professional service for, and to help organize.  This year, I'm serving as tutorial chair, a relatively lightweight job that fits well with the time constraints of new parenthood and some of the other transitions I need to deal with soon.  For those who might not know, most scientific conferences also have a number of attached related events, like workshops, tutorials, and demo sessions.  Tutorials are the educational part, where an established expert in some area shares the tools of their trade, and as tutorial chair, my job is to make sure we get some good ones and no bad ones.  The call for tutorial proposals is now out, and knowing the community and some of the folks who've talked with me already, I think we'll get some really interesting ones...

So, if you're going to be in the Philadelphia area next September, and want to learn some neat stuff about self-adaptive and self-organizing systems, well, you know where to go.

No comments: